top of page

Study in Canada

In order to immigrate to Canada and obtain Permanent Residence, individuals need to Study in Canada, complete a diploma, then work 1 year on a Post Graduate Work Permit.


*It is extremely important to ensure to attend a school that is eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).  Not all Designated Learning Institutions (DLI schools) are eligible.  If an individuals attends a private institution that is not eligible for a PGWP, not only will the individual not be eligible for a work permit after they graduate, they will also not be able to get an Open Work Permit for their spouse that is accompanying them to Canada.

Student Options

Student Visa

Work while you Study

Post-Graduatiuon Work Permit

Bringing Family to Canada while studying

Spouse/Common-law partner Open Work Permit

Student Visa

To apply for a Canada Student Visa (study permit), students must first enroll and be accepted to study at a Canadian educational institution. Students who wish to obtain a Canada student visa may apply at the Canadian visa office that is responsible for their country of residence.


Foreign students who have applied for and been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may apply for a Canada Student Visa in order to come to Canada and complete the specific program for which they have been accepted. You must have received an acceptance letter from the designated institution which you plan to attend before you submit your application for a Canada student visa.


Additionally, you must meet the following requirements for a Canada student visa:

  • You must be able to prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who accompany you, return transportation for you and any family members who accompany you.

  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record.

  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

For more information on Student Visas (study permit), click here.

Work while you study

Students enrolled in a full-time program may work on-campus or off-campus without a work permit.  Certain conditions apply, depending on the location of work, and type of program the student is enrolled in.

For more information, visit the Working while you study page.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Once you have graduated from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution, you may qualify to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. This program offers graduates a three year open work permit which will allow you to earn valuable work experience. You do not need to have a job offer to get an open work permit.

Additionally, Canada allows foreign students who have completed their studies in Canada and have gained a certain amount of work experience within Canada to apply for immigration to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

For more information, visit the Post-Graduation Work Permit page.

Bringing Family to Canada

You may bring your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children to Canada to be with you while you study. Your spouse or common-law partner will receive an Open Work Permit for the duration of your studies. The open work permit will allow your spouse or partner to work for any employer within Canada.

Spouse/Common-law partner Open Work Permit

Spouses/Common-law Partners of International students studying in Canada are eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit which allows them to work for any employer in Canada in any job.  The duration of the work permit will be the same as the spouses study permit (visa).

For more information, visit the Open Work Permit page.

Studying in Canada is another pathway to obtain PR


If you currently do not have enough CRS points to be selected for PR, you still have the option to come to Canada and study. If you (or your spouse) enrol in a 2 year college or university program, the student can work 20 hours a week while in school, and full-time during school breaks (4 months a year during the summer holiday). The spouse of a student can get a work permit and work in any job in Canada.  If you have children, they can accompany you and go to school in Canada for free.  If you come to Canada and start a family while you are studying, your children automatically become Canadian citizens if born in Canada. After graduating from a 2 year program, the student and spouse can both can get a 3 year work permit to work in Canada.  


Candidates that choose to study in Canada have many options to apply for PR.  Their spouse can apply for PR through a PNP program after working in a skilled job for 6 months in Manitoba province or 1 year in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, while their spouse is still in school.  A student can apply for PR after they graduate if they have enough points, or they can work for 1 year and apply for PR under a PNP program or Canadian Experience Class.



Additional CRS points are awarded for:


• Graduating from a Canadian school (15 - 30 points)

• Having a skilled job in Canada (50 points)

• Working in Canada (points are awarded for each year you work in Canada: 35 - 80 points)



The financial requirements to study in Canada starts at $30,000 for 1 person (first year tuition + $10,000 for living expenses), and for each additional family member that accompanies you to Canada, you must have an additional $3,000 per person.  


If you do not have the funds yourself, you can get a letter from a family member stating their intention to support you financially, along with their financial documents.


Candidates who are eager to come to Canada with their family, should consider studying as an option.  School programs typically start in September and January each year, but there are some programs that start every 2 months.  Students can come to Canada 1 - 1.5 months before their program starts, and their family can accompany them.


There are many schools and programs to choose from; some have IELTS 5, 6 or 7 as a requirement for admission, while others provide an English study program first, followed by the diploma program.

Need Help?

Contact us for more information about Studying in Canada or for assistance in applying for Study permit.

Study Permit
Study in Canada




LSO logo.JPG

Licensed by:

bottom of page