top of page
Work while Studying | Work in Canada

Work while Studying

International students with a valid study permit may work while studying in Canada without a work permit. Spouses/Common-law partners of foreign students can also work in Canada while their spouse is studying. The spouse can apply for an Open Work Permit which allows them to work in any job without restriction.

Work On-Campus

Full-time students who are enrolled at an institution may work at that institutions campus in any job without a work permit.  Students may work at more than one campus of an institution, provided that they are in the same municipality.  Students may be enrolled in any course to be eligible.

The permitted institutions are:


Community Colleges


Publicly Funded trade/technical schools

Private Institutions authorized by provincial statue to confer degrees

In order to be eligible to work on-campus, international students must:


Note:  International students must stop working on-campus on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements

Working Off-Campus

Foreign students may qualify to work off-campus without a work permit. This will allow them to: 

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and

  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

In order to be eligible to work off campus, international students must:

  • Hold a valid Study Permit

  • Be studying at a designated learning institution the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level

  • Remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution

  • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

Note:  International students in Canada must stop working on the day they no longer meet the above eligibility requirements 

The following international students are not eligible to work off-campus:

  • Students enrolled in an English as a Second Language or French as a Second Language program;

  • Students taking a general interest course or program; and

  • Visiting or exchange students at a designated learning institution.

Working Off-Campus- certain cases

Students working as graduate , research or teaching assistants may work off campus a locations related to their research grants.  These locations must have a formal association or affiliation with he learning institution.  This may include hospitals, clinics and research institutes.

Co-op Work Permits

International students pursuing a study program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada that requires a mandatory work placement or internship must apply for a co-op work permit in addition to a Canadian Study Permit

Post Graduate Work Permit

Once an international student graduates, they can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit which is an Open Work Permit, allowing them to work in ANY job, without restrictions. An LMIA or a confirmation of job offer are not needed to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.

In order to be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit you must:

  • apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.

  • have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.

  • have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

Need Help?

Contact us for more information about Studying in Canada or for assistance in applying for Study permit.





Law Society of Ontario (LSO) logo

Licensed by:

bottom of page