top of page
Immigration News
  • Writer's pictureMatkowsky Immigration Law

Express Entry: Historical record low of 431 CRS score. 3,753 ITAs issued.

In the latest Express Entry draw, 3,753 candidates were invited to apply for permanent residence (PR) with CRS scores of 431

and higher. This is the lowest CRS score in Express Entry since it's inception. There has never been a better time to apply for PR than now. Calculate your points with our new Express Entry Calculator to see if you would be a good candidate for PR.

The IRCC (Immigration Refugee Citizenship Canada) announced changes to the scoring system that will most likely lead to higher CRS scores in the future. The new rules will take effect on June 6th, 2017. Our firm estimates the CRS score will increase between 5 - 10 points as a result of this change.

Rule changes

Brother or Sister in Canada (15 points): candidates (or their accompanying spouses) who have a brother in sister in Canada who are a Canadian citizen or PR and 18 years of age or older will be granted 15 additional points

French speakers (15 to 30 points): candidates who speak French at an NLC 7 level will receive 15 additional points. And candidates who can speak french at an NLC 7 level and English at a CLB 5 level or higher will receive 30 points.

We have updated our Express Entry CRS points Calculator to account for these new rules. You might score more points now with these changes, increasing your chances to get permanent residence.

Don't have enough points? Studying in Canada is another pathway to obtain PR

If you currently do not have enough CRS points to be selected for PR, you still have the option to come to Canada and study. If you (or your spouse) enrol in a 2 year college or university program, the student can work 20 hours a week while in school, and full-time during school breaks (4 months a year during the summer holiday). The spouse of a student can get a work permit and work in any job in Canada. If you have children, they can accompany you and go to school in Canada for free. If you come to Canada and start a family while you are studying, your children automatically become Canadian citizens if born in Canada. After graduating from a 2 year program, the student and spouse can both can get a 3 year work permit to work in Canada.

Candidates that choose to study in Canada have many options to apply for PR. Their spouse can apply for PR through a PNP program after working in a skilled job for 6 months in Manitoba province or 1 year in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, while their spouse is still in school. A student can apply for PR after they graduate if they have enough points, or they can work for 1 year and apply for PR under a PNP program or Canadian Experience Class.

Additional CRS points are awarded for:

• Graduating from a Canadian school (15 - 30 points)

• Having a skilled job in Canada (50 points)

• Working in Canada (points are awarded for each year you work in Canada: 35 - 80 points)

The financial requirements to study in Canada starts at $16,000 for 1 person (first year tuition + $10,000 for living expenses), and for each additional family member that accompanies you to Canada, you must have an additional $3,000 per person.

If you do not have the funds yourself, you can get a letter from a family member stating their intention to support you financially, along with their financial documents.

Candidates who are eager to come to Canada with their family, should consider studying as an option. School programs typically start in September and January each year, but there are some programs that start every 2 months. Students can come to Canada 1 - 1.5 months before their program starts, and their family can accompany them.

There are many schools and programs to choose from; some have IELTS 5, 6 or 7 as a requirement for admission, while others only require a online test which can cost as low as $21 to take.

Our firm has many relationships with schools in Canada and we can help you find a school, apply to a program and gain admission. We will assist you with applying for a study permit, work permit for your spouse, and a student visa (or TRV visa) for your children, if necessary.

Contact us - we will help you make Canada home.

Law Society of Ontario (LSO) logo

Licensed by:

bottom of page