top of page
Immigration News
  • Writer's pictureMatkowsky Immigration Law

Express Entry- 3,749 Candidates invited to apply for Permanent Residence. CRS score of 441

The most recent draw on March 24, 2017 invited 3,749 candidates to apply for immigration to Canada. The CRS cut-off selection score this round was 441. Candidates with a score of 441 and above were issued ITAs (invitations to apply) for permanent residency.

As predicted, the CRS score dipped to a low of 434 in the previous draw (our estimate was 435) and did not move lower. It is very likely the score will remain within a range between 434 - 450 for the remainder of 2017.

While the CRS score increased slightly in the latest draw, it still remains at a very low level compared to previous years. A rule change in November 2016 paired with IRCC's increased quota for Federal Skilled Workers in 2017 has led to these low CRS scores. It is easier now than ever before to get permanent residence in Canada.

To calculate your Express Entry CRS score, use our new online CRS Calculator. Be sure to submit your scores as you will receive a detailed explanation of the scoring system and and additional suggestions for obtaining permanent residence (PR).

Don't have enough points? Studying in Canada is another pathway to obtain PR

If you currently do not have enough CRS points to be selected for PR, you still have the option to come to Canada and study. If you (or your spouse) enrol in a 2 year college or university program, the student can work 20 hours a week while in school, and full-time during school breaks (4 months a year during the summer holiday). The spouse of a student can get a work permit and work in any job in Canada. If you have children, they can accompany you and go to school in Canada for free. If you come to Canada and start a family while you are studying, your children automatically become Canadian citizens if born in Canada. After graduating from a 2 year program, the student and spouse can both can get a 3 year work permit to work in Canada.

Candidates that choose to study in Canada have many options to apply for PR. Their spouse can apply for PR through a PNP program after working in a skilled job for 6 months in Manitoba province or 1 year in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, while their spouse is still in school. A student can apply for PR after they graduate if they have enough points, or they can work for 1 year and apply for PR under a PNP program or Canadian Experience Class.

Additional CRS points are awarded for:

• Graduating from a Canadian school (15 - 30 points)

• Having a skilled job in Canada (50 points)

• Working in Canada (points are awarded for each year you work in Canada: 35 - 80 points)

The financial requirements to study in Canada starts at $16,000 for 1 person (first year tuition + $10,000 for living expenses), and for each additional family member that accompanies you to Canada, you must have an additional $3,000 per person.

If you do not have the funds yourself, you can get a letter from a family member stating their intention to support you financially, along with their financial documents.

Candidates who are eager to come to Canada with their family, should consider studying as an option. School programs typically start in September and January each year, but there are some programs that start every 2 months. Students can come to Canada 1 - 1.5 months before their program starts, and their family can accompany them.

There are many schools and programs to choose from; some have IELTS 5, 6 or 7 as a requirement for admission, while others only require a online test which can cost as low as $21 to take.

Our firm has many relationships with schools in Canada and we can help you find a school, apply to a program and gain admission. We will assist you with applying for a study permit, work permit for your spouse, and a student visa (or TRV visa) for your children, if necessary.

Contact us - we will help you make Canada home.

Law Society of Ontario (LSO) logo

Licensed by:

bottom of page